The number of streams on Showmax has continued to prove that Kenyan viewers are more interested in watching high quality local content in the Kenyan film and TV industry, building an extensive catalogue of genre-diverse and audience-favorite TV shows and movies.
According to the latest viewing statistics from Showmax, 7 out of 10 most-watched titles on the platform in 2022 were local, with one Nigerian and two international titles.
Read also: Single Kiasi Season 2 now streaming on Showmax-trailer
Below, in alphabetical order, are 10 most-watched titles on Showmax in Kenya in 2022:
- Baba Twins – A coming-of-age comedy drama and Showmax’s first Original film in Kenya.
- County 49 – A political thriller series set in the fictional Bwatele County, Kenya’s 49th county.
- Crime and Justice S2 – A police procedural and legal drama that follows ripped-from-the-headlines investigations by an elite police team.
- House of the Dragon – HBO’s smash hit prequel to Game of Thrones that traces the war for succession within House Targaryen.
- Igiza – A thriller series set in the wash wash world and the fashion industry in Nairobi
- Kyallo Kulture – A reality series that dives into the personal lives of Betty Kyallo and her two sisters.
- Njoro wa Uba – A comedy-drama series that follows the daily escapades of taxi driver Njoro.
- Single Kiasi S1 – A drama series that follows the ups and downs of dating in Nairobi.
- The Real Housewives of Lagos – The first Nigerian edition of the hit international franchise.
- Wrath of Man – Starring Jason Statham, this Guy Ritchie movie was up for Best Action Movie at the 2022 Critics Choice Super Awards.
Read also: Loved by KOT, all 8 episodes of Pepeta now streaming on Showmax
More key milestones from Showmax in 2022
- An increase in overall Showmax and Showmax Pro subscribers
In the interim results from MultiChoice that were released in November 2022, paying Showmax subscribers increased by 50% and Showmax Pro subscribers increased by 111% – even before the FIFA World Cup.
- An increase in Showmax Original titles in Kenya
In 2022, the African streamer released a record six Original titles in Kenya, starting off with Single Kiasi S1 in January; Crime and Justice S2 in February; Igiza in May; County 49 in August; Pepeta in November, and finally; A Familiar Christmas, Kenya’s first-ever Christmas feature in December. Licensed titles released in 2022 include the reality series Kyallo Kulture; and the stand-up comedy shows Roast House and Comedy Riot.
- Showmax opens doors to new production houses and actors
The streamer worked with new production companies to open up the industry and give opportunities to more filmmakers and actors, some who have never been on screen before. Among these new productions are Yare Productions behind the thriller series Igiza, directed by Abdi Shuria, a first-time director; and CJ3 Entertainment behind the crime drama Pepeta.
- County 49 breaks streaming records
Directed by Likarion Wainaina, the political thriller series County 49 was the most-watched premiere ever for any title on Showmax in Kenya when it debuted on 25 August, claiming the spot previously held by The Real Housewives of Lagos.
- Showmax launches Kenya’s first-ever Christmas feature film
A Familiar Christmas, directed by Rueben Odanga, launched on the platform on 15 December, becoming Kenya’s first Christmas feature film.
- Showmax brings The Real Housewives franchise to Nairobi
In yet another exciting investment, Showmax, in partnership with NBCUniversal Formats announced the launch of The Real Housewives of Nairobi in 2023, joining other African franchises like Durban, Lagos, Johannesburg, and Cape Town.
- Showmax Pro broadcasts the FIFA World Cup live in 4K, for the first time ever
In a move that was a first for the streamer, Showmax Pro streamed all 64 matches of the FIFA World Cup live in 4K.
- Titles on Showmax lead Kalasha nominations
At the Kalasha Awards 2022, Showmax Originals and exclusives earned a record 23 nominations. Adding to this list were Maisha Magic East, Maisha Magic Plus and Maisha Magic Movies titles available on Showmax, bringing the overall number to a record-breaking 50 nominations, the highest-ever in history for any platform.
- Showmax exports Crime and Justice to Nigeria
After the success of the Kenyan police procedural and legal drama Crime and Justice, starring Sarah Hassan and Alfred Munyua, Showmax launched its Nigerian franchise, Crime and Justice Lagos in December.